Packing your Storage Unit
Here is some useful infomation to make the most of your space!
- As a general rule place large, heavy items that you can stack upon at the rear of the unit. Then work forwards and upwards with lighter, fragile items. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front of the unit.
- Depending on the goods you have stored, you may need to allow for walk ways.
- Packing in professional storage boxes will make the storing and unpacking easier and safe, saving you time and worry.
- Please let staff know some general information about the items to be stored when booking your unit. They’ll be able to advise on the right amount of space and also make sure you’re not storing items unfit for self storage
- Make sure you value your goods correctly, so we can provide you with the right levels of insurance cover
- Decide if you want to have regular access to any of your goods. If so, these should be the last items you put into storage.
- Start by covering the ground space with a dust sheet to protect your goods
- Clearly identify fragile goods, and make sure the labels can be easily seen
- Storing sofas and mattresses on end, and stacking chairs pad-to-pad, will help you to minimise the amount of space you need. Ask our staff for advice on storing items this way…
- Take care to safely pack sharp edges or garden tools to avoid accidents. Outside equipment should be cleaned before storage, and lawnmower blades or cutting tools should be lightly oiled
- When all your items are in, cover with a dust sheet to keep them clean and protected
- Secure your unit with a padlock – we have a choice of three available for you to buy